Celebrating the World Spinach Day on March 26
It’s Popeye’s favourite, all encompassed superfood, highly beneficial for health and overall wellness.
It is no secret as to from where ‘Popeye the Sailor Man’ gets all his strength. Spinach is a superfood to consume in your daily diet for overall health & wellness. Due to packed with nutrient contents, the vegetable has a special day dedicated to its natural goodness.
Go the spinach way
- Go for fresh spinach that is green with small leaves. Avoid buying spinach which is pale.
- Always refrigerate spinach in a plastic bag. Do not store after cleaning. Clean it only when you use it.
- If you want to eat raw spinach; first, you clean it using cold water. However, boiled spinach is comparatively good since its acid content dissolves into the water.
- Do not store it for more than five days since prolonged storage could result in loss of nutrients.
- To boil, do not cover it with a lid to avoid discolouration.
- Clean it three or four times before you use it. Spinach is one of the most pesticide-contaminated vegetables. Whether it is raw or cooked, it is full of macro and micro nutrients. So, go for anything you wish.
Wellness in a cup
Spinach is loaded with antioxidants that potentially provides healthy skin. The outstanding production of collagen in spinach prevents wrinkles, fight against all the blemishes like acne, dryness, psoriasis, and makes our skin impeccable.
It has an enormous amount of protein that reduces the risk of cataract issues and cardiovascular troubles.
It is one of the staple food, and it regulates proper digestion, prevents constipation, maintains blood sugar, and the best diet food for those who seek to lose weight.
Daily intake of a cup of Spinach can strengthen mucous membranes and the urinary tract. It helps in regulating the respiratory system.
Spinach originated from Persia, it is said, from where it got popular in other Asian countries. During the 14th century, spinach regarded as a “Persian vegetable”. However, this theory is not proven due to the lack of evidence.
Catherine de Medici, a French Queen almost had spinach at every meal, Hence, In France, all the spinach-based dishes are called as “Florentine”, marking the birthplace of the queen, “Florence”.
Celebrate this day by introducing some fresh spinach to your meals today. You could start by mixing some spinach into your garden salad. It is easy to grow.
Recipe: Spinach Soup
– 1 tbsp of olive oil
– bunch of spinach
– 2 spoons Oats
– 2 to 3 cloves of Garlic chopped
– 2 green tomatoes chopped
– 2 cloves
– Salt and black pepper
– lime juice
Let’s make it:
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the cloves, garlic, oats, green tomatoes and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add the blanched and chopped spinach—Sauté for a minute.
3. Add 3 cups of water. Add salt and pepper. Boil it. Let the soup cool down. Once cool enough, blend it till it’s smooth. Add more water for the desired consistency.
4. Serve it chilled or hot. Sprinkle little freshly crushed black pepper and squeeze lime on top. Enjoy your soup.
Recipe courtesy Vinsplate